In the past, I've used the microwave to make instant lollipops driven by citrus and vinegar. It only made sense to bridge this application with the tart stems.
|Transparent Rhubarb Candy|
|Rhubarb Candy Dome|
|Carbonated Rum Cake on Rhubarb Leather|
Note: Microwaves vary so you may need to alter durations and power settings
- Slice rhubarb as thin as possible on a mandoline if you have one
- Dry the rhubarb by compressing a single layer between paper towels
- Cut out pieces of parchment paper the size of a dinner plate
- Lay out slices rhubarb on parchment 1/2" apart
- Microwave in 20 second increments until most of the juice is driven out
- Dredge the rhubarb in granulated sugar
- Lay out the slices on a new piece of parchment
- Microwave in 20 second increments until the sugar caramelizes
- Allow it to cool to room temperature
As always, keep the ideas bouncing so we can all benefit.